Africa

Police arrest man for allegedly orchestrating acid attack on 24-year-old former girlfriend

Police in Kenya have arrested a former lover suspected of orchestrating a brutal acid attack on a 24-year-old woman identified as Mary Claire. 

According to preliminary reports, the suspect identified as Elvis Opiro, allegedly hired an assailant to carry out the attack. 

The attacker ambushed Mary on her way home and doused her with a corrosive substance, leaving her with severe facial injuries.

Members of the public quickly responded and cornered the suspect as he attempted to flee. 

An angry mob descended on him before police intervened and rescued him. He is currently in police custody.

Mary Claire is currently fighting for her life at Kenyatta National Hospital, where she is receiving specialized treatment.

In November last year, Claire had reported the main suspect after he assaulted her but no step was ever taken to apprehend or charge the suspect.

Former Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko, who confirmed the development in a statement on Sunday, March 22, said that the suspect was apprehended after authorities “laid a trap” that led to his capture.

Related posts

X+nophobia: Our artistes losing gigs, businesses are affected because of recent deportations — South African government laments

Ransome Mgbeahuru

‘There Is No Xenophobia in South Africa’ — SA Consul-General Bobby Moroe says as he guarantees Nigerians and other migrants of protection

Ransome Mgbeahuru

Gunmen kill 42, abduct children in Niger communities

Ransome Mgbeahuru

Leave a Comment