Tragedy struck in Ugbo Paul, a suburb of Abakpa Nike, in the Enugu East council area of Enugu State, following the death of three family members and their maid after eating a meal suspected to have been poisoned.
It was gathered that only a nine-month-old baby girl of the family survived the tragedy, as she was not fed with the food.
The victims were identified as the head of the family, Mr Lawrence Chukwu; his wife, Chizoba; their daughter, Nazareth; and the maid, Ukamaka.
A neighbour, Mrs Dominic Gloria, told our correspondent that the family went to bed on Friday without any incident.
“We woke up on Saturday morning and found the family members struggling for life. We didn’t know what was wrong with them and they were immediately rushed to the 82 Division Army Hospital. Later that day, their maid died.
“After a series of tests, we learnt that the food they ate before they went to sleep on Friday night was contaminated with a poisonous substance. Unfortunately, all efforts to save them failed, as the man and his wife died on Saturday, and on Tuesday morning, their two-year-old daughter equally died,” Gloria added.